Class Cancellation Update 1
Dear students, parents, guardians, staff members, and volunteers:
We thank everyone in our school community for their strength during this challenging time. Today, we are in discussions with other school system leaders in the province developing a plan to continue to support student learning while classes are cancelled. At present, we await consensus of system leaders on the best ways for all schools to deliver services, but this is what we can share:
- The system will take the time necessary to develop a comprehensive approach that works for students across Alberta. Rushing would be irresponsible especially since the cancellation may Parents shouldn’t expect this plan until the end of next week – updates will be available weekly
- School authorities are expected to continue their regular day-to-day operations and ensure the safety of our school facilities. This includes maintenance, cleaning and administrative work will continue.
- School staff members are expected to continue to work, either from the school or from a distance as required by their school authorities.
- At present, students registered to participate in diploma exams should still prepare to do so. Teachers for diploma-level courses will be in touch with affected students as the complete strategy is known.
- Every student will receive a final mark and students will be able to move to their next grades or classes in the fall.
- We are developing plans to support students who may be in crisis and who may not have consistent access to technology and will notify the community of these plans, once complete, via the website at www.bsec.ab.ca.
- Arrangements will also be made for students or their parents to come to the school to pick up needed personal effects (clothing, Work Experience items, etc.). The schedule for this will also be posted to the website or individual students will be contacted as necessary.
We are still here. Please feel free to call us, engage with us on Facebook Messenger or any other tool where you know you can reach us. We are committed to keeping students and their families informed and connected to their school.
If you would like more information about COVID-19, please visit the Alberta Health Services website. If you
have concerns about your own health, please contact Health
Thank you for your help and support in keeping BSEC strong and safe for all.
Scott Meunier, Principal (on the advice of our Superintendent, Mavis Averill).